13.763, Jobs: Corpus Ling: PostDoc at U/Michigan, USA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 21 23:26:29 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-763. Thu Mar 21 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.763, Jobs: Corpus Ling: PostDoc at U/Michigan, USA

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  21 Mar 2002 22:36:51 -0000
From:  Dr.Rita Simpson <ritacsim at umich.edu>
Subject:  Corpus Linguistics: Postdoc Research Fellow, Univ of Michigan, USA

Date:  21 Mar 2002 22:36:51 -0000
From:  Dr.Rita Simpson <ritacsim at umich.edu>

Rank of Job: Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Areas Required: Corpus Linguistics
Other Desired Areas: Discourse Analysis, TESL/TEFL
University or Organization: University of Michigan
Department: English Language Institute
State or Province: Michigan
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: May 31, 2002
Contact: Dr. Rita Simpson ritacsim at umich.edu

Address for Applications:
English Language Institute, University of Michigan, TCF Building, 401 E.
Liberty St., Suite 350
Ann Arbor
MI 48104-2298
US

The English Language Institute at the University of Michigan is
inviting applications for a post-doctoral research fellow to work on
research involving the Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English
(MICASE). The position is for one year in the first instance, with the
possibility of renewal for an additional two years, with a start date
between July and September, 2002.

The MICASE project was started at the English Language Institute in
1997-98, and we are entering an exciting phase of development as we
have recently completed the transcription and initial SGML markup of
the 1.7-million-word corpus and are actively expanding our research
and development program. Some of the projects that we would like to
work on in the near future include grammatical tagging, lemmatization
and lexical statistics, and the annotation of the corpus with
additional pragmatic metadata. In addition, we are moving forward with
various research projects beyond those already completed on features
of spoken academic English, and are keen to implement strategies for
utilizing the corpus for in-house teaching and testing
applications. The main members of the MICASE team at present are
Dr. Rita Simpson (project manager), Professor John Swales (faculty
advisor), and Dr. Sarah Briggs (advisor for testing).

We are interested in hearing from candidates who have recently
completed, or are nearing completion of a Ph.D. with a strong corpus
linguistics component, preferably including some programming skills,
as well as a good background in spoken discourse analysis. The ideal
candidate will also have some ESL/EAP research or teaching experience.

The 12-month salary will be in the range of $30,000 to $34,000,
depending on qualifications, and includes excellent benefits, some
moving expenses, and generous reimbursement for conference travel.

To apply, please send a cover letter and cv, including contact
information for referees. For additional information or informal
inquiries, please contact Dr. Rita Simpson at ritacsim at umich.edu.
General information about MICASE is available the ELI website:
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/micase.htm and the online
searchable version of MICASE can be found at
http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/micase.

Address for Applications:
Rita Simpson
MICASE/3012 NUB
English Language Institute
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1057

The deadline for application is May 31, 2002, but applications will be
considered as they arrive.