13.1247, Qs: Phonosemantics, Theta-role Assignment

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 4 01:53:13 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1247. Fri May 3 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1247, Qs: Phonosemantics, Theta-role Assignment

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 3 May 2002 00:00:21 +0400
From:  Belianine Valeri  <vbelyanin at mtu-net.ru>
Subject:  phonosemantics

2)
Date:  Thu, 2 May 2002 06:43:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Liang Chen <brighterchen at yahoo.com>
Subject:  theta-role assignment

Date:  Fri, 3 May 2002 00:00:21 +0400
From:  Belianine Valeri  <vbelyanin at mtu-net.ru>

Hello dear Linguists!

I am a psycholinguist.

I was dealing with sound symbolism and found out that there is a
theory stating that every letter (and sound) has its meaning.

For example, there are pleasant and unpleasant sounds (for some
national ear).  Thus according to some investigations, Russian ZH is
unpleasant while L soft is pleasant (mild).  R for Russians is
masculine, rude and energetic, while F is dark, weak and dangerous.

And all the vowels may have some kind of colour. E.g. for Russians A
(as in cup) is red, I (like in film) is blue, E (like in let) is
green, etc.  Some computer programs use it for Russian text analysis.

I am involved in a project of making the same in English.  I suppose
that this is closely connected with the investigations of Charles
Osgood.

And I thought that some of you may have some data concerning this.

If anyone knows some investigations on the English material,
please let me know offline. vbelyanin at mtu.ru

Val Belianine,
www.textology.ru