13.1251, Qs: Assessment of Undergraduate Ling Curriculum

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 6 00:40:16 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1251. Sun May 5 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1251, Qs: Assessment of Undergraduate Ling Curriculum

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 03 May 2002 15:10:31 -0500
From:  Mary Shapiro <mshapiro at truman.edu>
Subject:  Assessment of Undergraduate Linguistics Curriculum

Date:  Fri, 03 May 2002 15:10:31 -0500
From:  Mary Shapiro <mshapiro at truman.edu>

I would like information on ways that other undergraduate linguistics
programs assess their students and/or their curriculum. We have a
linguistics major and minor, but currently our students are asked to
take the GRE general exam as their senior "exit" test. (This school
requires senior tests of all majors; it really wants nationally normed
tests, and I am unaware of any specific to linguistics.) If anyone has
any knowledge of an appropriate instrument, or good ideas about
assessment in general, I would love to hear about this. Also, just
gathering information about how comparable programs are assessed may
help me convince the administration that we do not need a nationally
normed test, so any information about assessment practices elsewhere
would be helpful. If there seems to be a lot of interest in this topic,
I will synthesize the answers and post a summary.

Thank you.

Mary Shapiro
Asst. Professor of Linguistics
Truman State University