13.1287, FYI: Corpus Metadata, Neuroscience & Cognition MSc

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 8 19:15:37 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1287. Wed May 8 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1287, FYI: Corpus Metadata, Neuroscience & Cognition MSc

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 08 May 2002 08:58:35 +0000
From:  Peter Wittenburg <peter.wittenburg at mpi.nl>
Subject:  MPI & DOBES Corpus Metadata Online

2)
Date:  Wed, 08 May 2002 16:25:15 +0200
From:  UiL-OTS <UiL-OTS at let.uu.nl>
Subject:  Master Programme (MSc) 'Neuroscience and Cognition'

Date:  Wed, 08 May 2002 08:58:35 +0000
From:  Peter Wittenburg <peter.wittenburg at mpi.nl>

With this email we would like to inform you about the availability
of two metadata described corpora on the web: (1) The corpus of the
Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics (Nijmegen, The
Netherlands), (2) The corpus of the DOBES (Documentation of
Endangered Languages) program. From the total about 10.000 session
descriptions not all are yet incorporated. They will integrated
stepwise.

Both are described with the help of metadata descriptions following the
IMDI standard (http://www.mpi.nl/ISLE). The resources themselves are not
accessible by default due to privacy requirements. This policy will be
checked on an individual basis in the coming months.
Nevertheless, the intention is that you can see what kind of resources
exist and that you see who to address to get access to the resources.

All metadata descriptions are stored in XML format (following the
IMDI definitions) and can be browsed by downloading and starting the
IMDI-BCBrowser. This browser can be downloaded from the tools site
of the MPI (http://www.mpi.nl/tools). The IMDI-BCBrowser was developed as an
integral part of the IMDI metadata environment. The metadata was created
mainly by using the IMDI-BCEditor. This tool can also be
downloaded from http://www.mpi.nl/tools. Access to the IMDI tools will always be
free.

If you want to have a look, please, got to the corpus web-page
(http://www.mpi.nl/corpus). There is some information which will guide you. It
is worth mentioning that when you downloaded the IMDI-BCBrowser, there
will be automatically a bookmark set to the corpus main node.

In case of problems with the software please, use the bug report facility.
If you want to be informed about new versions, please, subscribe to the
email list.

We want to explicitly emphasize the possibility that you yourselves can use
these tools to create and exploit metadata for your own resources.

We would like to thank all researchers, especially the DOBES and MPI people,
that have helped us create the IMDI environment and provided their data.

The MPI Corpus creation group,
The ISLE Metadata Initiative group

| Peter Wittenburg						    |
| Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics                        |
| Wundtlaan 1, 6525 XD Nijmegen, The Netherlands                    |
| Tel: 31-24-3521911/113      Fax: 31-24-3557950                    |
| Email: pewi at mpi.nl                                                |
| Web-Site: http://www.mpi.nl   (Facilities>Technical Facilities)   |