13.1330, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 13 02:47:01 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1330. Sun May 12 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1330, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 10 May 2002 16:07:18 -0500
From:  "Gale, George" <GaleG at umkc.edu>
Subject:  RE: 13.1291, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Fri, 10 May 2002 17:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Ahmad R. Lotfi" <arlotfi at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Disc. : falsifiability vs. usefuleness

3)
Date:  Sat, 11 May 2002 13:24:22 +0800
From:  Farzad Sharifian <f.sharifian at cowan.edu.au>
Subject:  Re: 13.1279, Disc: New: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Date:  Fri, 10 May 2002 16:07:18 -0500
From:  "Gale, George" <GaleG at umkc.edu>

My research is in the history and philosophy of cosmology. Sometimes
falsifiability works exactly as Popper described it, and for a
straightforward reason: the theorist designs the theory to be a
candidate for Popperian falsifiability.

Hermann Bondi designed his 1948 Steady-state cosmology precisely to
satisfy the Popperian demands. He said so many times in print, and
even contributed suggestions about exactly what evidence would falsify
the theory.

I asked him what he had told his competitors, the Big-bang
cosmologists. He said "Show me some fossils from an earlier universe,
and I'll give up my theory." In 1965 they showed him some fossils,
and, true to his Popperianism, he gave it up.

His behavior was certainly heroic, and few others feel called to this
high standard. However, I must say that several others in the
Steady-state camp were nearly as rigorous--Dennis Sciama comes to
mind, for one. He gave it up when the quasar distribution didn't work
out as predicted.

If someone wanted to deny that there were *genuine* cases of
falsifiability, I suppose that they could defend their hypothesis and
attack the Bondi case. As Lakatos always said, if you don't want to
give up a hypothesis in the face of contrary evidence, then
don't. Nobody can make you do it if you don't want to.

But then Lakatos was always given to sly little smiles when he said
things like this.

I've got the Bondi case written up, and it's supposed to
appear in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy sometime in the next
few days. If anyone would like to take a look at it, drop me a line
and I'll point you toward the article when it appears.

George Gale
Professor of Philosophy & Physical Science
UMKC
galeg at umkc.edu