13.1348, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 14 13:13:55 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1348. Tue May 14 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1348, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 09:49:41 +0800
From:  Farzad Sharifian <f.sharifian at cowan.edu.au>
Subject:  Re: 13.1334, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 19:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Ahmad R. Lotfi" <arlotfi at yahoo.com>
Subject:  RE: 13130:Disc. Falsifiability vs. usefulness

3)
Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 08:56:40 +0000
From:  Denis Bouchard <bouchard.denis at uqam.ca>
Subject:  Falsifiability & Usefulness

Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 09:49:41 +0800
From:  Farzad Sharifian <f.sharifian at cowan.edu.au>

I've seen the arguments but they have not been cogent enough. Popper's
demarcation criterion has worked very well in a lot of cases. And
above all, Popper's ideas largely influenced the way a lot of us now
think about science and scientific method.

What has happened is that when some scholars have made their theories
immune by making them non-falsifiable, then the community of
scientists have not taken those theories seriously anymore. Even if
"one simply finds no (or few, if Gale is correct) examples of
falsifiability playing a role in acknowledged advances in science",
which is definitely an oversimplification, still it doesn't harm the
LOGIC.

"Fuzzy logic" was for a number of decades a laughing stock before it
was taken seriously and applied to so many fields. Yes, during those
decades there was no example of fuzzy logic playing a role in
acknowledged advances in science, so does it mean that it was wrong?
Of course you might say it was not "useful" and yes it became useful
later on. What is absolutely useless at some stage may become quite
useful at some other stages.

Lastly, I wonder if this idea of 'usefulness' is really a novel
advancement in epistemology or just turning to layman terminology for
solving philosophical issues.

Regards
Farzad Sharifian, PhD
Center for Applied Language and Literacy Research
Edith Cowan University
Western Australia