13.1351, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 15 00:25:22 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1351. Tue May 14 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1351, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 22:02:09 +0800
From:  Greg Matheson <lang at ms.chinmin.edu.tw>
Subject:  Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 11:25:12 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  RE: 13.1348, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

3)
Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 18:49:24 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  Re: 13.1334, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

4)
Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 20:13:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Mark Douglas Arnold <mdarnold at wam.umd.edu>

Date:  Tue, 14 May 2002 22:02:09 +0800
From:  Greg Matheson <lang at ms.chinmin.edu.tw>

I am interested in this discussion as a teacher of English as a
foreign language and as a pragmatist, perhaps (in both senses of the
term), but not as a linguist, which I probably am not (in either sense
of the term, and certainly not that of this list).

Two observations on usefulness. The discipline of applied linguistics
seems almost independent of its parent discipline, pure
linguistics. The relationship appears to be different from that of
applied mathematics with pure mathematics, for example.  Is the naming
of the body of knowledge or discipline that developed around the
desire for a principled approach to the study of language teaching
just a historical accident?

The second observation is about the maxim, "There's nothing as
practical as a good theory", of Kurt Lewin, the progenitor of action
research, the idea that practitioners can, should or do do research. I
believe this maxim leads to a corollary, "There's nothing as good as a
practical theory", given two axioms. The first is that theories are
just not good or not good, but that there is a cline of goodness
between the bad and the good. The second is that the cutoff point
between the good theory and the not good theory is not fixed, but
varies according to desire.  With these axioms, we can see that the
better the theory, the more practical it is. The monotonicity of this
relationship between goodness and practicality allows us to conclude
that the more practical a theory is, the better it is.

Which is the conclusion I (and Lewin?) was looking for.  Of course the
maxim may still be a false maxim. I don't think however that it is
equating goodness with usefulness.

-
Greg Matheson
Chinmin College