13.1354, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 15 14:19:16 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1354. Wed May 15 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1354, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 12:05:40 +0100
From:  Julian Bradfield <jcb at dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 13.1351, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 07:51:39 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>

3)
Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 09:09:37 -0400
From:  "H.M. Hubey" <hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu>

Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 12:05:40 +0100
From:  Julian Bradfield <jcb at dcs.ed.ac.uk>

>LINGUIST List:  13.1351 Tue May 14 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.
>From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
>Subject:  RE: 13.1348, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

>Notice that not a single response has yet attempted to deal with the
>serious objections I pointed out from Hull, Hempel, and
>Lakatos. Because to answer those objections would be quite
>difficult. Just so.  Falsifiability is not easy to defend. And if it

Being entirely inexpert in philosophy, I have been reluctant to ask a
simple question, but since Dan raises Hempel again, I will ask it:

In what non-trivial sense is Hempel's objection an objection?  As I
understand the objection, it is that if S is a falsifiable statement
such as "the moon is made of green cheese" (in my book, Dan's original
example "2+2=4" is analytically true, and therefore not falsifiable),
and N is a blatantly non-falsifiable statement such as "God exists",
then S & N is falsifiable.

This is clearly true, but why is it a problem? The sentence S & N
contains (in an intuitive understanding) both empirical and
non-empirical content, and taking falsifiability as a criterion has
the effect of making "empiricality" propagate through conjunction; if
you took verifiability as a criterion, it would make empiricality
propagate through disjunction.  So what? It still doesn't make N
empirical.

There are plenty of other reasons why simple falsifiability is
inadequate as the sole criterion for empiricality, but this particular
objection doesn't seem very salient.