13.1367, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 16 03:05:39 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1367. Wed May 15 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1367, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 11:21:52 -0400
From:  "Mike Maxwell" <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu>
Subject:  Re: Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 12:42:07 -0400
From:  "H.M. Hubey" <hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu>
Subject:  Re: 13.1354, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

3)
Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 12:50:45 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  Falsifiability and usefulness

4)
Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 13:03:10 +0000
From:  Martha McGinnis <mcginnis at ucalgary.ca>
Subject:  Re: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Date:  Wed, 15 May 2002 11:21:52 -0400
From:  "Mike Maxwell" <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu>

In LL 13.1279, the first msg in this thread, Dan Everett wrote:
>Pick your favorite theory. Can you really imagine any
>circumstances under which its founders would admit
>that enough of its statements had been falsified to
>warrant chucking it?

Maybe it's time to bring some real cases into this discussion.

Since I know more about current issues in phonology and morphology
than I do about syntax, let me try an example from that.  (Maybe this
was mentioned in the NLLT editorial that Dan referred to in his first
msg--I haven't seen it.)  And I will _not_ pick my favorite
theory--quite the contrary!

What would it take to falsify Optimality Theory (OT)?

To make this a bit more specific, what would it take to falsify
current versions of OT as applied to phonology and morphology?  The
original version of OT was more constrained (pardon the pun)--all
constraints were innate, there were only "ordinary" constraints on
Input-Output, and so forth.  Now there are constraints that can only
be interpreted as learned (at least that's my take!), conjoined
constraints, Output-Output constraints, Base-Reduplicant constraints,
anti-faithfulness constraints, ad infinitum (or at least so it appears
to me).  Is the theory falsifiable?

Maybe it doesn't matter whether the theory is falsifiable (and maybe
this is Dan's point).  One can argue that the predecessors to OT
Phonology, such as rule-based lexical phonology, were also
unfalsifiable, and that they achieved this status by add-ons,
particularly by constraints (the OCP, for example) imposed on top of
the rules.  After awhile, the add-ons achieved the status of epicycles
in some linguists' eyes, and they began looking for alternative
theories.  Are we approaching that state in OT?

Regardless of where OT stands in this, I guess the main point is that
one can usually deal with counter-examples by patchng up a theory.
But after awhile, the patches are perceived as epicycles, and at that
point (well, it's not usually a _point_, but that's another issue) the
theory becomes suspect.  If there's another theory waiting in the
wings, then is the time to bring it out.

Incidently, I suspect the reason Steady State cosmology was given up so
completely and quickly (without trying to patch it, see LL 13.1330) is
that (ironically!) it's much harder to add epicycles to astronomy than
it is to add them to theories of cognitive psychology.  There's no
reason to suppose that the mind is maximally simple, whereas astronomers
tend to presuppose simplicity.

     Mike Maxwell
     Linguistic Data Consortium
     maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu