13.1379, Disc: Next to Last Posting/Falsifiability/Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 17 12:16:32 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1379. Fri May 17 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1379, Disc: Next to Last Posting/Falsifiability/Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 12:05:40 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  Re: 13.1354, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 06:08:52 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  RE: 13.1376, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 12:05:40 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>

On Wed, 15 May 2002 "H.M. Hubey" <hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu> wrote

>A few comments on falsifiability.
>
>> From:  Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>
>> Subject:  Re: 13.1334, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness
>>

>> Falsifiability lies in the simple fact that a proposition and
>> its opposite (or P and ~P) cannot both be true at the same time
>> (although both may be false).
>
>That is certainly not possible. P + ~P =1 always. If P=0,
>and ~P=0, then we'd have P+~P=0 which is not possible.

This is only true of existential categorical propositions. Here
is the rule (sometimes known as the rule of existential falsity):

    If a categorical proposition implies but does not presuppose
    the existence of entities to which its subject or predicate
    or their contradictories apply, then it is false if any of
    these terms is empty.

What this means is that if X is presupposed to exist, then
of (1) X is P and (2) X is ~P, either (1) or (2) must be true and
the other false.  But if X is not presupposed to exist then there
is the possiblity (3) X does not exist, and if (3) is true then
both (1) and (2) are false. (Unless, of course, (1) and (2) are
existential statments about X.)

Bob Whiting
whiting at cc.helsinki.fi