13.1396, Disc: Last Post: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 18 17:01:02 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1396. Sat May 18 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1396, Disc: Last Post: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 08:56:31 -0400
From:  "H.M. Hubey" <hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu>
Subject:  Re: 13.1379, Disc: Next to Last Posting/Falsifiability/Usefulness

2)
Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 16:17:22 +0000
From:  Denis Bouchard <bouchard.denis at uqam.ca>
Subject:  Falsifiability II

Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 08:56:31 -0400
From:  "H.M. Hubey" <hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu>

LINGUIST List wrote:

> From:  Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi>
> Subject:  Re: 13.1354, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness
>
> >That is certainly not possible. P + ~P =1 always. If P=0,
> >and ~P=0, then we'd have P+~P=0 which is not possible.
>
> This is only true of existential categorical propositions. Here
> is the rule (sometimes known as the rule of existential falsity):
>
>     If a categorical proposition implies but does not presuppose
>     the existence of entities to which its subject or predicate
>     or their contradictories apply, then it is false if any of
>     these terms is empty.
>
> What this means is that if X is presupposed to exist, then
> of (1) X is P and (2) X is ~P, either (1) or (2) must be true and
> the other false.  But if X is not presupposed to exist then there
> is the possiblity (3) X does not exist, and if (3) is true then
> both (1) and (2) are false. (Unless, of course, (1) and (2) are
> existential statments about X.)

The only people who deny The Law of the Excluded Middle
(e.g. P + P' =1)  are the intuitionists. Their view is that if you
prove P is false then you have still not proven that P' is true.
They want a proof that P' is true. They want constructive proofs.

What you are referring to is not in propositional calculus but
in predicate calculus usually, and it refers to the problems of
logic. Any statement about a non-existent object is true e.g.
what I wrote about the case of P=0 and Q=0 in P=>Q.

The reason why this works out is because, again, logic is biased
towards truth, and only the counterexample disproves a [general]
statement. For example, the statement "All submarines longer than
one mile long are pink" is true, because there are no submarines
longer than 1 mile long. This can also be understood quite easily
in  terms of the "counterexample". In other words, since there are
no submarines longer than a mile, nobody can find one of them
and show that there is one that is not pink.  You can see the explanation
in my book, The Diagonal Infinity, World Scientific, Singapore, 1999.

-
M. Hubey

hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu
http://www.csam.montclair.edu/~hubey