13.2222, Jobs: General Ling, Phonology: AsstProf, SC USA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 5 18:44:42 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-2222. Thu Sep 5 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.2222, Jobs: General Ling, Phonology: AsstProf, SC USA

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:27:12 +0000
From:  dubinsky at sc.edu
Subject:  Jobs: General Ling, Phonology(English): AsstProf, U/South Carolina USA

Date:  Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:27:12 +0000
From:  dubinsky at sc.edu

University or Organization: University of South Carolina
Rank of Job: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas Required: General Linguistics, Phonology
Required Language(s): English (ENG)

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR in linguistics with a specialization in phonology
and/or English linguistics, beginning Fall 2003.

English Department at the University of South Carolina in cooperation
with the Linguistics Program seeks to recruit a tenure-track assistant
professor with a specialization in phonology and/or English
linguistics, and the ability to teach both phonological theory and
history of the English language.  It is anticipated that the candidate
will serve as a core faculty member in the Linguistics Program.

The appointment (in the English Department) will involve teaching
undergraduate and graduate linguistics courses, plus thesis and
dissertation supervision.  The successful candidate will demonstrate a
commitment both to a fundable research program and to excellence in
teaching, and will have the Ph.D. at the time of appointment.

Applicants should send a letter, curriculum vitae, and the names of
three references to:

Stanley Dubinsky
Chair, Linguistics Search Committee
English Department
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC  29208

Additional information about the Linguistics Program and the
Department of English Language and Literature is available at
http://www.cla.sc.edu/ling and http://www.cla.sc.edu/engl.

Screening of applicants will begin November 15, to continue until the
position is filled.  We anticipate conducting interviews at the
January 2003 LSA Meeting.  AA/EEO.  Minorities and women are
encouraged to apply.

The USC Linguistics Program, with faculty in five academic departments
in the College of Liberal Arts, supports a graduate program (granting
the Ph.D. and M.A. in Linguistics, and a TEFL Certificate) and an
undergraduate minor.  We currently have about 40 active students in
the graduate program, and were ranked 7th among linguistics doctoral
programs in the 2000 National Doctoral Program Survey conducted by the
National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
(http://survey.nagps.org/index.php).  The program's dual emphasis on
theoretical and applied aspects of linguistics is one of its major
strengths, and the great variety of research conducted by faculty and
graduate students is a reflection of the intellectual diversity that
characterizes the program.  For more information about the program,
prospective applicants are invited to explore the our website:
http://www.cla.sc.edu/ling/

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Stanley Dubinsky
	Department of Linguistics
	University of South Carolina
	Chair, Linguistics Search Committee
	Columbia, SC 29208
	United States of America
	Applications are due by November 15, 2002

Contact Information:
	Stanley Dubinsky.
	Email: dubinsky at sc.edu
	Tel: 803-777-2063
	Fax: 803-777-7514
	Website: http://www.cla.sc.edu/LING/index.html

This employer is a LINGUIST List supporter!