13.2258, Sum: Open Source Language Learning

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 10 22:10:29 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-2258. Tue Sep 10 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.2258, Sum: Open Source Language Learning

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:16:55 -0400
From:  Doug Whalen <whalen at alvin.haskins.yale.edu>
Subject:  Open Source Language Learning

Date:  Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:16:55 -0400
From:  Doug Whalen <whalen at alvin.haskins.yale.edu>

   A while back, I posted this query:

>   Does anyone know of any open-source programs for teaching a language?
>   Ideally, this would be something modularized so that new languages
>   could be introduced into the system.

I received some responses, which I summarize below.  I thank:
Monica Ward <mward at computing.dcu.ie>
Anders Damgren Højen <engah at hum.au.dk>
Deborah W. Anderson <dwanders at pacbell.net>
John Dowding <john_dowding at yahoo.com>

Monica Ward had the most directly relevant posting:

>I have developed a template for developing CALL (Computer Assisted Language
>Learning) materials for Endangered Languages (although it could be used for
>any language).  I have used XML technologies and the design is modular.
>
>I have developed courseware in Nawat (or Pipil), an Endangered Language of
>El Salvador.  There is an online version of the course at:
>http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~mward/nawat.html
>
>There is also a CD and a printed version (for those with no computer
>access).
>
>I have started working with Louanna Furbee on developing a version for the
>Tojolab'al language of Mexico.
>
>I have also developed a (very rough) demo lesson for Kabiye (a language of
>Togo, Benin).  It is available at:
>
>http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~mward/kabiye/L01/html/lesson1_eng.html
>
>It is not difficult to generate the courseware (it mainly involves entering
>plain text into files and running a script to create the web pages).
>
>The aim of the template is to enable Endangered Language communities to
>develop CALL courseware easily and without too much difficulty.  I believe
>that developing modern, online courseware can help raise the prestige of a
>language, both within the EL community and amongst the wider community
>(amongst other benefits).  I have written several papers about the template
>and CALL in the EL context.

Deborah Anderson also had reference to a relevant project:

>One resource being developed at UC Davis in Open Remote
>Collaboration Tool (OpenRCT), described at
>http://davinci.cs.ucdavis.edu/ . This is being supported (or is in
>some way related to) the UC Language Consortium as a means to teach
>languages, though it can also be used for other purposes as well.
>They have a multilingual chat capability, which works well in a
>cross-platform environment, except for a particular problem with
>Arabic on the Mac. The developers, under Dick Walters, are eager for
>input and would be happy to answer questions.

She also pointed out that there is an email list called Language
Learning Technology International at LLTI at dartmouth.edu, which might
be a place to continue a discussion about open source programs; there
is not much there right now.

Anders Damgren Højen pointed out VISL (http://visl.hum.sdu.dk/visl/),
which has tools for various languages.  It is not immediately clear
whether this is open source or not, but it's a very interesting site.

John Dowding runs a web site that makes some open source software
available: http://www.OpenNLP.com.  None of this is geared toward
language learning, but it might be useful for other interface issues.

Thanks to all,
Doug Whalen DhW
-
Doug Whalen (whalen at haskins.yale.edu)