14.1140, Disc: Academic Boycotts

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 18 11:25:10 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1140. Fri Apr 18 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1140, Disc: Academic Boycotts

Date:  Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:57:15 +0000
From:  Shalom Lappin <lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk>
Subject:  Academic boycotts and OT

2)
Date:  Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:55:06 -0400
From:  Theriault Alain <theriaal at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA>
Subject:  Re: 14.1133, Disc: Academic Boycotts

3)
Date:  Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:10:43 +0300
From:  "Bernard Spolsky" <spolsb at mail.biu.ac.il>
Subject:  On academic boycotts

4)
Date:  Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:19:11 +0200
From:  "Yehuda N. Falk" <msyfalk at mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject:  Re: Academic Boycotts

Date:  Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:57:15 +0000
From:  Shalom Lappin <lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk>

Dick Hudson suggests that the concern for academic freedom on one hand
and the right to engage in academic boycotts on the other be construed
as competing defeasible constraints in an OT system. This is an
interesting idea which is worth exploring. It implies that
anti-discrimination laws should be regarded as defeasible in relation
to the rights of individuals and organizations to refuse housing,
service, employment, etc. to people that they dislike. In fact freedom
from discrimination on national and ethnic (as well as racial,
religious, sexual, and other) grounds is a basic human right that is
not defeasible. This is precisely why this freedom is enshrined in
consititutions and human rights charters. Britain does not have a
written constitution; however, Britain has recently incorporated the
European Union's Human Rights Charter into its legal code rendering
principles of non-discrimination entirely non-defeasible. OT is
exactly the wrong model for thinking about human rights legislation in
academic or other domains. Defeasibility provides a cover for bigotry,
which is what this sort of legislation is designed to rule out.

                      Shalom Lappin