14.1157, Qs: Linguistic Impreialism; Compound Adj Resources

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 22 13:16:25 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1157. Tue Apr 22 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1157, Qs: Linguistic Impreialism; Compound Adj Resources

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:56:23 +0000
From:  Roberto Perez <rgpg at technologist.com>
Subject:  Chomsky on Linguistic Imperialism

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:43:30 -0400
From:  "Janet Randall" <J.randall at neu.edu>
Subject:  query

Date:  Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:56:23 +0000
From:  Roberto Perez <rgpg at technologist.com>

Hi all,

As I was reading Phillipson on Linguistic Imperialism, and
Negroponte's idead that the net as a medium of linguistic imperialism
is absurd, I was wondering if Chomsky (in his role as a philosopher,
intellectual, or linguist) has taken sides on this issue, or has
expressed his opinion. Has he manifested any support for/opposition
against the concept of linguistic imperialism? Or has he expressed any
ideas on the matter?

I have tried different searches on the net, and on several archives
(including this list), but I don't seem to come up with the right
search string. Could anyone shed any light on this (Chomsky and his
position on linguistic imperialism)?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Perez
rgpg at technologist.com