14.2075, Qs: Surface Glides; Historical Ling Resources

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 5 16:11:37 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2075. Tue Aug 5 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2075, Qs: Surface Glides; Historical Ling Resources

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Susannah Levi <svlevi at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Q: Language with NO surface glides

2)
Date:  Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:23:59 -0400
From:  Paul Kingsbury <kingsbur at unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject:  'short -n- sweet' classics

Date:  Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Susannah Levi <svlevi at u.washington.edu>

Dear linguists,

I'm looking for languages that do not have surface glides.  In
particular, I'd like to find languages that have hiatus with high
vowels--preferably something like taioka or atia, where gliding to
tajoka/atja is not allowed. If the language appears to have this, but
it depends on rate of speech, I would also be interested in that.

If you know of such a language (and also a reference) I would
appreciate hearing about it. (I will post a summary if people are
interested).

Many thanks,
Susannah Levi
svlevi at u.washington.edu