14.2093, Diss: Comp Ling: Aloraini: 'Arabic Present Tense...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 8 13:12:34 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2093. Fri Aug 8 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2093, Diss: Comp Ling: Aloraini: 'Arabic Present Tense...'

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:11:11 +0000
From:  info at almuarib.com
Subject:  Arabic Present Tense MT System

Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:11:11 +0000
From:  info at almuarib.com

Institution: University of Essex
Program: Computational Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2003

Author: Ibrahim A. Aloraini

Dissertation Title: Arabic Present Tense MT System: Copular Absence

Linguistic Field: Computational Linguistics

Dissertation Director 1: Doug J. Arnold

Dissertation Abstract:

With the technology advancement nowadays, different cultures tend to
have more understanding to each other in terms of education, commerce
and health. Language is the only existing means to communicate
thoughts and traditions. Since this is my assumption, I would
defiantly agree with that any one says: "learning
English as target language is a must".

Well that is not true, and thanks to the Machine Translation
technology which handles such a job. MT systems are still having some
drawbacks with target languages, such as: structure, semantics, and
lexicon databases. I am eager with an interesting phenomenon in Arabic
that does not exist in English. This dissertation explores the
phenomenon of copular drop and the pronominal absence in the present
tense.