14.2128, Jobs: Second Language Acquisition: Asst Prof, Davis

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 12 02:39:42 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2128. Mon Aug 11 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2128, Jobs: Second Language Acquisition: Asst Prof, Davis

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:28:50 +0000
From:  kthein at ucdavis.edu
Subject:  Second Language Acquisition and Development: Asst Prof, UC Davis

Date:  Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:28:50 +0000
From:  kthein at ucdavis.edu

University or Organization: University of California, Davis
Department: Linguistics Department
Rank of Job: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (Code = ENG)

Tenure Track
FACULTY POSITION IN
Second Language Acquisition and Development

Assistant Professor (tenure-track) position, beginning Fall 2004.  The
Department of Linguistics at the University of California, Davis,
seeks a linguist specializing in second language acquisition and
development at the Assistant Professor level.  We are looking for
someone with strong interests in language pedagogy and teacher
education.  We are seeking a colleague who takes an approach to second
language development that recognizes the social contexts in which
languages develop as well as the forms languages take.  Research
interests in one of the following areas is desirable: L2 assessment,
L2 reading and writing, bilingualism. As our graduate students do
research in second language development contexts that range from K-12
and university classrooms to community settings of various kinds, an
interest in multilingual/multicultural populations like those of
California is also desirable.

The candidate should be able to teach advanced courses in second
language acquisition and development and M.A.-level TESOL pedagogy,
along with other graduate and undergraduate courses as needed by the
department. Our department currently offers an MA with a general track
and an applied (TESOL) track. A doctoral program emphasizing second
language acquisition and development is currently in the approval
process.

Candidates must show strong promise in both research and teaching, and
rapport with the interests of the department. To ensure full
consideration, applications must be postmarked by December 1, 2003,
though the position will remain open until filled. Send application
letter, sample publications and three letters of reference to Will
Benware and Vai Ramanathan, Co-Chairs, Search Committee, Department of
Linguistics, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA
95616. TEL: 530/752-1291, FAX: 530/752-3156; Email:
labyrns at ucdavis.edu, (Lesley Byrns, Office Manager).

For further information about the Department of Linguistics at UCD,
please visit our website at http://linguistics.ucdavis.edu Position is
subject to final administrative approval.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Dr Vai Ramanathan
	Search Committee, Department of Linguistics,
	UC Davis
	One Sheilds Ave.
	Davis, CA 95616
	United States of America

	Applications are due by 01-Dec-2003

Contact Information:
	Ms. Lesley Byrns
	Email: labyrns at ucdavis.edu
	Tel: 530.752.1291
	Fax: 530.752.3156
	Website: http://philo.ucdavis.edu/linguistics/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!