14.2203, Sum: Typology of Ellipsis

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 20 14:49:55 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2203. Wed Aug 20 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2203, Sum: Typology of Ellipsis

Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:58:03 +0000
From:  Ressy Ai <rai at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Typology of Ellipsis

Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:58:03 +0000
From:  Ressy Ai <rai at fas.harvard.edu>

Dear Linguists,

A couple of days ago, I posted an inquiry on typology of ellipsis
(Linguist 14.2119). I would like to thank the following for their
input (My apologies if some of the names are spelt incorrectly): Pablo
Ariel Duboue, Barbara Need, Shinji, Ghil`ad Zuckermann, Cassian
Braconnier, Martin Haspelmath, Ramón Morillo-Velarde Pérez, Spenader
J.K., John Beavers, Will Thompson, John Lawler, Mary Swift, Sharbani
Banerji, User Martha, Monmon Jung, Boyd Davis, Mitko Sabev, Yan Huang,
Mohammad Al-Khawalda, and Raquel Fernandez Rovira. I would also like
to thank Balkiz Ozturk for some of the translations in the reference
section. I am solely responsible for all the flaws and imperfections
in this summary.

The summary below consists of three sections: Comments, References and
Website Resources:

I. Comments (not indexed; but selected)

Cassian Braconnier: (I was) wondering whether ellipsis exists at all
in ALL languages... have been working for many years on a variety of
'mandingo' spoken in Ivory Coast and it seemed to me that there was no
ellipsis in this language, no ''gapping'' of any sort to be sure and
no VP ellipsis. Perhaps I missed some other elliptic construction but
I doubt it.

Spenader J.K.: according to Merchant sluicing is one of the types of
ellipsis that you do find cross-linguistically, while the much studied
VP-ellipsis is actually unusual (though very frequent in English).

John Beavers: one nice dissertation on ellipsis that laid out a
typology was Chao (1988), She looks at a variety of types of ellipsis
(gapping, sluicing, VPE, etc.) in English and proposes a bifurcation
by whether or not the head is elided.  The typology is reminiscent of
Hankamer and Sag's work from the 1970sAnyway, I liked Chao's thoughts
so I thought I'd pass that along.

Will Thompson: Ann Lobeck's ''Ellipsis: Functional Heads, Licensing,
and Identification'' comes to mind. She categorizes English ellipsis
constructions, based on a small set of syntactic properties.

Mary Swift: A colleague and I have documented an interesting
phenomenon of verb base ellipsis in a polysynthetic language,
Inuktitut. (see references below)

Mohammad Al-Khawalda: I wrote a paper in this issue comparing between
ellipsis in Arabic and English (see references below)

Raquel Fernandez Rovira: regarding a typology of ellipsis, you can
find an ontology of elliptical utterances in dialogue in the paper
''Non-Sentential Utterances: A Corpus Study'' by Jonathan Ginzburg and
myself, published in the TAL journal last year. (the paper can be
located in the web-site section: the last one)

II. References (roughly indexed '' I am sorry for the places marked
with ???: it means that they need to be further checked for accuracy):

Al-Khawalda, M. 2002. ''Ellipsis in Arabic and English''.IJAES, vol
3. Libairie du Liban Publishers:183-199. Best wishes, Al-Khawalda.

Biber, D et al.  (1999) Longman grammar of spoken and written English.
Harlow: Longman.

Brown, G & Yule, G.  (1983) Discourse Analysis.  Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.

Carter, R. and McCarthy, M.  (1995) Grammar of the spoken language.
In Applied Linguistics, Vol. 16, No. 2: 141-158.

Charles, N. and Thompson, Sandra A.  1981.  Mandarin Chinese: A
Functional Reference Grammar.  London: University of California Press.

Cokugurel, Isil, (1996). Turkcede Eksiltili Anlatim ve Eksiltili Cumle
(Unpublished MA Thesis) Adana: Cukurova Universitesi.

Eggins, Suzanne & Diana Slade.  (1997) Analyzing Casual Conversation.
London: Cassell.

Enc, Murvet. 1986. Topic Switching and Pronominal Subjects in
Turkish. In Slobin, Dan I. / Zimmer, Karl eds. 1986. Studies in
Turkish Linguistics. Amsterdam; Philadelphia: John Benjamins
Publishing Company.

Fujiwara, Masanori. 1992. Joshi Shoryaku no Goyoronteki Bunseki. IN
Tajima, Ikudo, Tanba, Kazuya eds. Nihongo Ronkyu 3. 1992. Gendai
Nihongo no Kenkyu. Osaka: Wasen Shoin.

Fukuda, Minoru. 1993. Head Government and Case Marker Drop in
Japanese. Linguistic Inquiry, 20, 1, Winter. 168-172.

Georgakopoulou, Alexandra & Goutsos, Dionysis. (1997) Discourse
Analysis: An Introduction.  Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

Gunter, R.  (1963) Elliptical sentences in American English. In
Lingua, Vol. 12, pp. 137-150

Halliday, M.A.K. (1985) An Introduction to Functional Grammar.
London: Edward Arnold.

Halliday, M.A.K. and Hasan, R. (1976) Cohesion in English.  London:
Longman

Hasegawa, Yuri. 1993. Hanashikotoba ni okeru Mujoshi no Kino. Nihongo
Kyoiku, 80. 158-168.

Holzman, M. S.  (1971) Ellipsis in discourse.  In Language and Speech,
Vol. 14, No. 1: 86- 98.

Hosaka, Junko / Takezawa, Toshiyuki / Uratani,
Noriyoshi. 1992. Analyzing Postposition Drops in Spoken Japanese. The
1992 International Conference on Spoken Language Processing ICSLP 92
Proceedings, vol-2. University of Alberta, Department of
Linguistics. 1251-1254.

Hosaka, Junko / Takezawa, Toshiyuki / Uratani, Noriyoshi. 1992. Taiwa
Deetabeesu o Tsukatta Mujoshimeishikaku no Bunseki. IN Jinko Chino
Gakkai Kenkyukai Shiryo SIG-SLUD-9203-1. Tokyo: Jinko Chino Gakkai
(Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence). 1-8.

Huang, Yan. 2000. Anaphora: A Cross-linguistic Study, Oxford
University Press.

Huddleston, R. & Pullum, G. K. (2002) The Cambridge Grammar of the
English Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Jesperson, O.  (1949) A Modern English Grammar. Part 7: Syntax.
London: Allen and Unwin.

Kai, Masumi. 1991. ??? wa Ika ni Shite Shoryaku Kano to Naru
ka. Nihongo Nihon Bunka, 17.00. 113-128.

Kitayama, K. 1953. Joshi no Shoryaku, Kakarimusubi Nado: Genji
Monogatari no Goho Kenkyu. Kokugo to Kokubungaku, August. 56-60.

Kudo, Rikio. 1950. Jodai ni Okeru Kakujoshi ni no Senzai to
Shoryaku. Kokugo Kokubun, 46, 5. 309-321.

Lyons, J.  (1977) Semantics (Vol. 2).  Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press.

Martin, Samuel E. 1970. Junctural Cues to Ellipsis in Japanese. IN
Jakobson, Roman / Kawamoto, Shigeo eds. 1970. Studies in General and
Oriental Linguistics: Presented to Shir Hattori on the Occasion of his
Sixtieth Birthday. Tokyo: TEC Company Ltd. 429-445.

Maruyama, Naoko. 1995. Hanashikotoba ni Okeru Mujoshikakuseibun no
Kaku. Keiryo Kokugogaku, 19, 8. 365-380.

Mary Swift and Shanley Allen, 2002, Verb base ellipsis in Inuktitut
conversational discourse. International Journal of American
Linguistics 68/2, pp. 133-156.

Matsumoto, Hirotake. 1982. Ryukyu Hogen no Shukaku Hyogen no
Mondaiten. Kokubungaku Kaishaku to Kansho, 47, 9. 178-185.

Merchant, Jason 2001 The syntax of silence: sluicing, islands, and the
theory of ellipsis, Oxford studies in theoretical linguistics (no. 2),
New York: Oxford University Press.

Minashima, Hiroshi. 1993. Nihongo no Kakujoshi ??? no Shoryaku ni
Tsuite: Yuseisei to teisei no kanyo no kanosei. Gengogaku Ronso
Tokubetsugo. 58-71.

Morillo-Velarde Pérez, R., y Rodríguez Rodríguez, M. C.. ''Valor del
presente en la reconstrucción histórica. La elipsis en el español
coloquial y en el Poema del Cid'', en Lingüística Española Actual,
XXI/1, págs. 5-23. Atentamente, Ramón Morillo-Velarde

Orinboev, B. 1982. Ozbek so zlashuv nutqi. Toshkent: Ozbekiston SSR
Fan Nashriyoti.

Quirk, R., Greenbaum, S., Leech, G. and Svartvik, J.  (1972) A Grammar
of Contemporary English.  London: Longman.

Quirk, R., Greenbaum, S., Leech, G. and Svartvik, J.  (1985) A
Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language.  London: Longman.

Ricento, T.  (1987) Clausal ellipsis in multi-party conversation in
English. In Journal of Pragmatics Vol. 11, pp. 751-775.

Sanders, Gerald A. 1977. ''A functional typology of elliptical
coordination.'' In: Eckman, Fred R. (ed.) Current themes in
linguistics: Bilingualism, experimental linguistics, and language
typologies. Washington, D.C.: Hemisphere, 241-70.

Shaw, James 2002 dissertation (check shaws website below).

Shinji (???) 2003 An alternative description of incomplete sentences
in Turkish and other agglutinative languages Turkic Languages, vol. 6,
no. 2., Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz. (In print)

Swan, Michael.  (1980) Practical English Usage.  Oxford: Oxford
University Press.

Tanba, Tetsuya. 1993. Mujoshikaku no Kino: Shudai to Kaku to
Gojun. Kokugo Kokubun, 58, 10. 38-57.  The Interfaces : Deriving and
interpreting omitted structures. Edited by Kerstin Schwabe and Susanne
Winkler.Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company,
2003.pp. 395. ISBN 90 272 2784 5 (Eur) / 1 58811 330 2 (US).

Watanabe, Yasuko. 1986. Two Kinds of Ellipsis in Japanese Discourse: A
Quantitative Text Study. Studies in Language, 10, 2, 337-351.

Wilson, Peter.  2000 Mind the Gap.  Essex: Pearson Education Limited.

III. Web-site Resources (not indexed)

http://www.palgrave.com/catalogue/catalogue.asp?Title_Id=140391723X
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~haspelmt/papers.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/2/2-737.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-246.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-253.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-121.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-227.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/10/10-985.html
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/Swales_AAACL.htm
http://langue.hyper.chubu.ac.jp/jalt/pub/tlt/98/jun/guest.html
http://langue.hyper.chubu.ac.jp/jalt/pub/tlt/98/sep/mccarthy.html
http://www.dumbo.ai.kyutech.ac.jp/chumphol/html/paper/
http://www.alexander.iofm.net/lang3.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/english/07speechwriting/35paraglinguisticfeatures/eng_para8.shtml
http://home.uchicago.edu/~merchant/
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~shaw/
http://www.dcs.kcl.ac.uk/staff/raquel/Publications/files/NSU-TAL.ps

Due to the massive amount of feedback, I cannot reply one by one to
say thank you. My apologies.
But deeply, many thanks to all again.
Best,
Ressy