14.2226, Qs: Ergative Languages; Genitive & Pos Construction

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 22 19:36:21 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2226. Fri Aug 22 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2226, Qs: Ergative Languages; Genitive & Pos Construction

Editor for this issue: Takoko Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:38:28 +0000
From:  Mario van de Visser <Mario.vandeVisser at let.uu.nl>
Subject:  Looking for native speakers of Ergative Languages

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:53:05 +0200
From:  suzie.bartsch at t-online.de (Suzie Bartsch)
Subject:  Origin of genitive and possessive constructions

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:38:28 +0000
From:  Mario van de Visser <Mario.vandeVisser at let.uu.nl>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to get into contact with native speakers of languages
with ergative features. Our aim is to gather information on word
order, case, agreement and quantification in these languages. We have
developed a written questionnaire which consists of four parts, each
one of them taking about 30-45 minutes to be filled out. The main
activity will be translating simple sentences from English into the
native language of the informant. We will provide a version in French,
Spanish or Russian if necessary. The questionnaire does not presuppose
any linguistic knowledge. The languages we are especially interested
in are:

Inuit

Salish

Tsimshian
Nez Perce	(Penutian)

Mayan		(any language)

Basque

Päri		(Nilotic)

Abkhaz 	        (or any other Northwest Caucasian language)

Udi
Batsbi/Tsova-Tush
Tsakhur	        (or any other Northeast Caucasian language)

Kurmanji        (or any other Kurdish dialect)

Chukchi
Itelmen
Alutor		(Chukotko-Kamchatkan)

Kapampangan	(Philippines)

Yele
Yimas 		(Papuan)

Warlpiri 	(or any closely related Pama-Nyungan language)

Tongan
Samoan	        (Polynesian)

We are well aware of the fact that some of these languages do not have
many speakers left, which may make it very hard to find any native
speaker who will be prepared to help us. Therefore, any suggestions
which could bring us closer to native speakers or people who might be
in contact with them would be highly welcome. Also, we would like to
point out here that we will understand if people are able to answer
only part of our questionnaire.

All reactions should be sent to:
Mario.vandeVisser at let.uu.nl

Sincerely,