14.2229, Sum: MP3 Conversion Software

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 22 20:43:22 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2229. Fri Aug 22 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2229, Sum: MP3 Conversion Software

Editor for this issue: Takoko Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:46:40 -0500
From:  David Kaiser <dwkaiser at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  Summary of MP3 Conversion Software Q

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:46:40 -0500
From:  David Kaiser <dwkaiser at midway.uchicago.edu>

Reference issue number 14.2162

Pablo Duboue suggested:

"Under linux, you can use mpg123 for transforming the mpe to wave file
and sphinx2 to get the transcription. Both tools are available with
the Debian distribution, although I'm not familiar with the ASR
sphinx2, I'm sure it should take piped input (so you can run both
mpg123 and sphinx2 without the need to create a temp wave file)."

Damir Cavar suggested:

"you should have a look at ViaVoice. MP3 can be converted to standard
audio WAV format for example, if you use Windows. The audio file can
be transcribed with IBMs ViaVoice. There is even a bundle of digital
dictation hardware that converts the recorded audio to a Word
document.  I got some links on that, but I'm sure you will find all
the details in the Web. I think, all this works for Mac and Windows."

Jim White suggested:

"A shareware wav to text program is available from
http://www.research-lab.com/ "

Thank you to all three.

Dave Kaiser