14.2231, Sum: Vowel Length before Flap

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 25 13:30:05 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2231. Mon Aug 25 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2231, Sum: Vowel Length before Flap

Date:  Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:35:35 +0000
From:  Cynthia Edmiston <linguisted at att.net>
Subject:  Summary of Q about vowel length before flap

Date:  Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:35:35 +0000
From:  Cynthia Edmiston <linguisted at att.net>

I posted a query asking whether or not there is published
spectrographic evidence for the claim that words such as ''writer''
and ''rider'' differ in vowel length before the flap (Linguist
14.2183).  I received only two responses: Dave Kaiser stated that he
had such a differing vowel length in his dialect; Jason Everett
pointed me to Laver's Principles of Phonetics (I unfortunately can
find no discussion of the subject in there but shall continue to comb
it).  Thank you to the respondents.  If anyone else has information
about published scientific studies, I continue to be interested in
hearing about them.