14.2256, FYI: Lang Technology; 'Language' Book Notice

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 27 04:24:34 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2256. Wed Aug 27 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2256, FYI: Lang Technology; 'Language' Book Notice

Editor for this issue: Renee Galvis <renee at linguistlist.org>

Date:  22 Aug 2003 15:41:04 +1000
From:  Steven Bird <sb at cs.mu.oz.au>
Subject:  Australasian Language Technology Summer School and Workshop

2)
Date:          Mon, 25 Aug 03 13:01:22 EDT
From:          Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject:       Language - August 2003 Book Notice List

Date:  22 Aug 2003 15:41:04 +1000
From:  Steven Bird <sb at cs.mu.oz.au>

Australasian Language Technology Summer School
and Australasian Language Technology Workshop
http://www.conferences.unimelb.edu.au/alta/

8-12 December 2003, University of Melbourne
Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering

The Australasian Language Technology Association is holding a summer
school and workshop in December 2003.  Registration is now open.

REGISTRATION

Registration is now open; early registration deadline: 10 October.
http://www.conferences.unimelb.edu.au/alta/

WORKSHOP  (SUBMISSION DEADLINE 30 AUGUST)

The Australasian Language Technology Workshop will be held on
Wednesday 10th December 2003.  The goals of the workshop are:

* to bring together the growing language technology (LT)
  community in Australia and New Zealand;
* to encourage interactions between this community and
  the international LT community;
* to provide an opportunity for the broader artificial
  intelligence community to become aware of local LT research;
* to provide a forum for discussion of new research;
* to foster interaction between academic and industrial research.

The submission deadline is 30 August.  For further details see:
http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/research/ai/ALTW2003/

SUMMER SCHOOL

The Summer School will consist of eight short courses, targetted at
postgraduate students and researchers in academia and industry.
Courses will be held on 8-9 and 11-12 December.

INTRODUCTORY COURSES
I1: Practical NLP using Python
    (Trevor Cohn and Steven Bird, Melbourne)
I2: Speech processing
    (David Grayden, Melbourne)
I3: Dialogue systems
    (Robert Dale, Macquarie, and Dominique Estival, DSTO)
I4: Information extraction and question answering
    (Diego Molla, Macquarie)

ADVANCED COURSES
A1: Machine translation
    (Harold Somers, UMIST, UK)
A2: Validation and evaluation in NLP and IR
    (David Powers, Flinders)
A3: Statistical parsing
    (Mark Johnson, Brown University, USA)
A4: SVMs and kernel methods in NLP
    (Jim Hogan, QUT)

FREE PUBLIC LECTURES
* Discourse Representation Theory
  (Alistair Knott, Otago)
* Text planning
  (Robert Dale, Macquarie)
* Language technologies and HCI
  (Cecile Paris, CSIRO)
* Linguistic annotation
  (Steven Bird, Melbourne, and Steve Cassidy, Macquarie)
* Agent-oriented NLP
  (Peter Wallis, Melbourne)

+-------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
|             |  Mon  |  Tue  |  Wed  |  Thu  |  Fri  |
+-------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
|  8:30-10:00 | I1,A1 | I1,A1 |       | I3,A3 | I3,A3 |
| 10:30-12:00 |       |       |       |       |       |
===============================       =================
|  1:30-2:30  |   Lectures    | ALTW  |   Lectures    |
+-------------+-------+-------+       +-------+-------+
|  2:30-4:00  | 12,A2 | I2,A2 |       | I4,A4 | I4,A4 |
|  4:30-6:00  |       |       |       |       |       |

LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY FORUM

On the evening of Wednesday 10 December we will hold a public forum on
the industrial and social impacts of language technology.  Details to
be announced.

-
Australasian Language Technology Association
http://www.alta.asn.au/