14.3360, Qs: Similarity Types; Recognition Software

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 5 22:43:53 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3360. Fri Dec 5 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3360, Qs: Similarity Types; Recognition Software

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:53:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Praveen Paritosh <paritosh at cs.northwestern.edu>
Subject:  Types of Similarity

2)
Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 2003 04:54:44 -0500 (EST)
From:  Pia Schnetzler <fuer_mich at freenet.de>
Subject:  Named entity recognition software

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:53:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Praveen Paritosh <paritosh at cs.northwestern.edu>

Two things can be similar to each other in many ways -- they can
merely look alike, they can be functionally similar (but not
necesarily look the same), they can be analogous, identical, or just
related to each other (like the lock and the key). I am interested in
how different languages lexicalize these different ''types of
similarity''. The kind of data I am looking for will be the different
types of similarity that are named in a language (e.g., in English, we
have words like alike, analogous, identical, resemble, same,
etc.). Some languages might make fewer and some more distinctions. Any
references, pointers to data, similar studies, or observations about
interesting ways in which languages carve up similarity are
welcome. Please send replies to me, and I will post a summary on the
list.

Thanks in advance,

Praveen Paritosh
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA.
Email: paritosh at cs.northwestern.edu