14.3367, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 7 06:02:59 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3367. Sun Dec 7 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3367, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:32:37 -0700
From:  "Michael  Beard" <mcbeard at earthlink.net>
Subject:  RE: 14.3341, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:32:37 -0700
From:  "Michael  Beard" <mcbeard at earthlink.net>

Well said, Prof. Foster.  Perhaps an addition to this line of
reasoning would be to examine other languages' terms for "gender" and
whether or not there are any biological associations due to an
unfortunate/accidental case of synonomous ambiguity.  The term
"gender" itself is the main problem here, not nominal classifications
in languages.  Is anyone familiar with, for example, the old Sanskrit
grammarians' term(s) for how nouns were classified?  I'm not, I'm
sorry to say, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples from other
languages that show there is no association between biology and noun
classification systems.  Obviously, I'm speaking here of words like
CLASS, not qualifying terms that might, indeed, reference biology,
such as "Male CLASS" and "Female CLASS."

Regards,
Michael Beard