14.3370, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 7 06:21:45 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3370. Sun Dec 7 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3370, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:38:42 -0500 (EST)
From:  Greville Corbett <g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 14.3280, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

2)
Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:07:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  Rajendran C <crajenin at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Re: 14.3341, Disc: Re: Grammatical Gender

Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:38:42 -0500 (EST)
From:  Greville Corbett <g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk>

Neil Chalk takes up Karen Stanley's comment on gender, namely ''[I
wondered] where the concept of nouns as having *gender* (versus simply
being in different categories, or being different classes of noun)
originated.'' (Linguist 14.3254)

'Gender' derives from Latin 'genus' via Old French 'gendre',
originally meaning 'kind' or 'sort'. Of course, there are many kinds
of noun that could be suggested - those with more than three
syllables, those denoting abstracts, and so on. But 'gender' is
normally reserved for kinds or classes of noun which are, as Hockett
(1958: 231) put it 'reflected in the behavior of associated words'. In
other words, this is an externally motivated classification, and the
reflection in the behavior of associated words is agreement (including
for some linguists antecedent-anaphor relations). We divide the noun
inventory into different kinds, or genders, according to the different
agreements they take. When we do this, we find that in the more
familiar languages, the different kinds or genders have a semantic
core based on sex (thus Russian nouns divide into three kinds, and
nouns denoting males, though not only these, group together, and those
denoting females also group in another gender). In less familiar
languages the structures may be very similar but the semantic core is
based not on sex, but for instance on human versus non-human or
animate versus inanimate.

Greville Corbett
Surrey Morphology Group