14.3384, Jobs: Indigenous Languages: Rank Open, U/Victoria

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 9 04:25:59 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3384. Mon Dec 8 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3384, Jobs: Indigenous Languages: Rank Open, U/Victoria

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:41:40 -0500 (EST)
From:  aliki at uvic.ca
Subject:  Indigenous Languages: Rank Open, University of Victoria, BC, Canada

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:41:40 -0500 (EST)
From:  aliki at uvic.ca

University or Organization: University of Victoria
Department: Linguistics
Rank of Job: Rank Open
Specialty Areas: Language Revitalization

Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Humanities

Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Studies

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria seeks a
candidate for a Chair in Indigenous Studies within the Canada Research
Chair program. This position is designated as Tier II (emerging
scholar) and will be filled by an active researcher whose profile
meets the requirements of the CRC program (see www.chairs.gc.ca for
details of the CRC program and necessary qualifications for those
nominated). The person will provide leadership to the efforts centred
in our Department and the Faculty of Humanities related to Indigenous
language research, documentation, maintenance, and revitalization, and
will contribute to interdisciplinary work through links across campus
especially in the faculties of Social Sciences, Fine Arts and the
newly approved Minor in Indigenous Studies.

The Canada Research Chair will be filled by a person of indigenous
origin who will examine First Nations languages and linguistic
cultures within Canada as well as in an international context. We are
looking for a person who will contribute to and participate in the
linguistic and cultural aspects of the life of indigenous communities,
preferably those in British Columbia or those with close connections
to this province. The chair holder will add to the store of knowledge
and understanding of languages, cultures and related issues of concern
to First Nations peoples by developing scholarship in partnership with
indigenous communities. In doing this, the chair holder will be
involved in the process of both defining significant issues internal
to the community and the definition of the academic field of study
itself.

Candidates should submit a letter of application indicating a research
plan and priorities and a curriculum vitae by 1 February 2004. Names
of referees will be requested at a later date.

Applications should be submitted to:

Dr. Leslie Saxon
Chair, Department of Linguistics
University of Victoria
Box 3045 STN CSC
Victoria, BC V8W 3P4
Email: saxon at uvic.ca
Web: http://web.uvic.ca/ling/

In accordance with the University's Equity Plan and pursuant to
Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, the selection of this Chair
holder will be limited to aboriginal peoples. Candidates from this
group are encouraged to self-identify.

The University of Victoria is one of Canada's most vigorous
comprehensive universities. UVic is committed to excellence in
research and accordingly invests significant resources to support its
research activities. UVic's Strategic Research Plan, available at
web.research.uvic.ca, outlines how the Canada Research Chair program
will be used to enhance our capabilities. Our researchers are highly
successful in attracting external grants and contracts, over $30M in
the past year. In 2003 the Department of Linguistics was awarded
several very substantial grants associated with indigenous language
studies, including a five-year Community-University Research Alliance
(CURA) grant to support research and training in indigenous language
revitalization on Vancouver Island.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Chair Leslie Saxon
	Department of Linguistics,
	University of Victoria
	Box 3045, STN CSC
	Victoria, BC V8W 3P4
	Canada

	Applications are due by 01-Feb-2004

Contact Information:
	Research Assistant Aliki Marinakis
	Email: aliki at uvic.ca
	Tel: 250-721-6634
	Fax: 250-721-7423

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!