14.3437, Jobs: Computational Ling: Post Doc, U/Michigan

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 12 04:58:38 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3437. Thu Dec 11 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3437, Jobs: Computational Ling: Post Doc, U/Michigan

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:34:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  radev at Umich.edu
Subject:  Computational Linguistics: Post Doc, University of Michigan

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:34:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  radev at Umich.edu

University or Organization: University of Michigan
Rank of Job: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS / NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The Group in Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing
at the University of Michigan is seeking a postdoctoral researcher.
Candidates should have previous experience in relevant areas of
Computer Science. We are particularly interested in candidates with
prior research experience in statistical NLP, including parsing,
language modeling, summarization, question answering, generation, and
machine translation.

The university of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, MI, 25 miles from
Detroit Metropolitan Airport which has hundreds of direct flights to
the USA, Canada, Asia, and Europe. Ann Arbor, population 110,000, is a
diverse college town, with a large selection of cultural and athletic
facilities.

Our group is a cooperative effort involving Computer Science,
Linguistics, and the School of Information, and drawing on the many
resources in Computer, Cognitive, and Information Science at this
university.  We also have strong connections to the Program in
Bioinformatics.  The core members of the group include Steven Abney,
Dragomir Radev, and Richmond Thomason.

We are seeking an energetic, independent person with excellent
communication skills, whose primary duties will involve coordinating
and developing new research proposals. High proficiency in the
following areas will be particularly valuable: programming;
theoretical computer science, mathematics, and statistics; technical
writing in English.

The two-year position carries a starting salary of $48,000, with
fringe benefits.  Starting time can be arranged, but should be between
January 1 and September 1, 2004. Applications received by December 31,
2003 will receive maximum consideration.

To apply, please send (preferably in plain text) the following
documents:

(1) a c.v. including the names and email addresses of 2-4 people who
know your work well and will be available as references. Do not ask
for letters to be sent at this time.

(2) a 1-2 page description of your research interests in an email to
rthomaso at eecs.umich.edu (Richmond Thomason). Use ''CL/NLP postdoc
application from [your-name]'' as the subject of your email.

Please visit http://www.umich.edu/cl for more details about CL/NLP at
Michigan.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Professor Richmond Thomason