14.3457, Sum: Pragmatics Reference

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 12 13:04:26 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3457. Fri Dec 12 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3457, Sum: Pragmatics Reference

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:05:08 +1300
From:  Fay Wouk <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>
Subject:  summary - pragmatics reference

Date:  Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:05:08 +1300
From:  Fay Wouk <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>

Last week I posted a query seeking a lost reference (Linguist
14.3299).

>Date:  Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:57:23 -0500 (EST)
>From:  Fay Wouk <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>
>Subject:  need reference - cross-cultural pragmatics
>

>I read an article a few years ago which compared naturally occurring
>data with role play, and possibly also with DCT data, focussing, as I
>remember, on the speech act of expression of gratitude. The findings
>were to the effect that naturally occurring instances took more turns
>and were more elaborate than the role plays. I've misplaced my
>reference, and would appreciate it if anyone can supply same.

I would like to thank  César Félix-Brasdefer for
identifying the article for me.

>Eisenstein, Miriam, and Jean Bodman. 1986. I
>very appreciate: Expressions of gratitude by
>native and nonnative speakers of American
>English. Applied Linguistics 7: 167-185.
>
>Eisenstein, Miriam, and Jean Bodman. 1993.
>Expressing gratitude in American English. In
>Interlanguage pragmatics, ed. G. Kasper and S.
>Blum-Kulka, 64-81. New  York: Oxford University
>Press

-
Dr. Fay Wouk
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland
New Zealand