14.3542, Sum: Spanish Word Frequency

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 21 20:35:26 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3542. Sun Dec 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3542, Sum: Spanish Word Frequency

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:28:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rochelle Newman <rnewman at hesp.umd.edu>
Subject:  Spanish word frequency corpora

Date:  Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:28:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rochelle Newman <rnewman at hesp.umd.edu>

A week or two ago I sent an email (Linguist 14.3299) asking for word
frequency corpora for Spanish, preferrably electronic.  I want to
thank everyone who responded to my request; I greatly appreciate
it. In case others could benefit from this same information, I've
summarized the results below.

First, there is a web site that lists a number of these corpora:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/cals/calsres/encyclopedia/Frequency_Spanish.htm

I also received suggestions of a few others not listed on that site:

Enríquez, E. 1984. El pronombre personal sujeto en la lengua española
hablada en Madrid. Madrid: Consejo Superior de Investigaciones
Científicas

Other corpora are available over the web at the following web pages:

http://www.corpusdelespanol.org/x.asp?ok=y

http://www.lsi.upc.es/~padro/home-angles.html

http://www.lllf.uam.es/corpus/corpus_lee.html#A

Also, Marcial Terradez Gurrea has a list of Spanish high frequency
words that is soon to be published.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier question!

Rochelle Newman
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Hearing & Speech Sciences
 http://www.bsos.umd.edu/hesp/newman/newman.html