14.345, Jobs: Speech Technology: Chair, The U/of Edinburgh

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 4 06:41:18 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-345. Tue Feb 4 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.345, Jobs: Speech Technology: Chair, The U/of Edinburgh

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 04 Feb 2003 01:23:39 +0000
From:  steedman at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Subject:  Jobs: Speech Technology: Chair, The University of Edinburgh, UK

Date:  Tue, 04 Feb 2003 01:23:39 +0000
From:  steedman at cogsci.ed.ac.uk

University or Organization: The University of Edinburgh
Department: School of Informatics
Rank of Job: Chair of Speech Technology
Specialty Areas: Speech Technology

THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH

SCHOOL OF INFORMATICS

CHAIR IN SPEECH TECHNOLOGY

The University invites applications for a Chair of Speech Technology,
to be held within the School of Informatics. We seek a candidate who
will further develop the strengths of the School, and in particular
the Centre for Speech Technology Research (CSTR), operated jointly
with the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
(PPLS). Example areas of interest are: Speech Recognition; Speech
Signal Processing; Speech Synthesis; Statistical Models for Speech and
Language Processing; Spoken Information Extraction and Retrieval.

In addition to outstanding strength in research and scholarship, the
successful candidate should provide leadership and inspiration for
fundamental research in CSTR and the School, encourage the integration
of his/her own research with that of others, and play an active role
in teaching and administration. The appointment is full-time and the
salary will be within the normal professorial salary range.

Edinburgh was the only university in the UK to have achieved a 5*A
rating in Computer Science in the 2001 RAE. With 87 research-active
staff submitted for assessment, it has the UK's biggest research group
in this area. With over 1000 research active staff in 5 or 5* units,
Edinburgh was also 5*-rated in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
(29) and 5-rated in Linguistics (22).

For informal inquiries, contact Professor Mark Steedman (by telephone:
+44 (0)131 650 4631, or e-mail to steedman at informatics.ed.ac.uk).

Further particulars including details of the application procedure can
be obtained from the World Wide Web at
http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/events/vacancies/ or from:

Human Resources
The University of Edinburgh