14.372, Qs: Greenlandic Ingressives, Orthography

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 6 14:42:35 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-372. Thu Feb 6 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.372, Qs: Greenlandic Ingressives, Orthography

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 06 Feb 2003 04:49:13 +0000
From:  Robert Eklund <Robert.H.Eklund at telia.se>
Subject:  Ingressives in Greenlandic Language(s)?

2)
Date:  Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:35:21 +0000
From:  Rajaa Aquil <aquilr at georgetown.edu>
Subject:  Orthography effect on processing spoken language

Date:  Thu, 06 Feb 2003 04:49:13 +0000
From:  Robert Eklund <Robert.H.Eklund at telia.se>

A year ago or so I posted a query on pulmonic ingressive speech for a
review article I am preparing. (I received a few answers pointing me
to relevant works. Thanks!)

I am now asking more specifically whether there are any sources
(exhaustive or brief) on Greenlandic language(s) that either do
mention, or could possibly mention, whether pulmonic ingressives exist
in Greenlandic.

Alternatively, if someone could point me to someone who might know,
that would also be great.

The reason I'm asking is that I've tracked down a reference that seems
to indicate the existence of pulmonic ingressives in ''Greenlandic''
in the 18th century, and I would very much like to know whether it
still exists.

All help and/or comments are welcome.

(NB! Any comments on pulmonic ingressives in general are still welcome.)

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Robert Eklund
Robert.H.Eklund at telia.se