14.438, Qs: Weak Crossover Effect, Similes

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 13 19:31:01 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-438. Thu Feb 13 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.438, Qs: Weak Crossover Effect, Similes

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:36:43 +0000
From:  Toru  Ishii <tishii at kisc.meiji.ac.jp>
Subject:  Weak Crossover

2)
Date:  Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:30:26 +0000
From:  "Joseph T.  Farquharson" <jtfarquharson at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Linguistic Research on Similes

Date:  Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:36:43 +0000
From:  Toru  Ishii <tishii at kisc.meiji.ac.jp>

Dear Linguists,

The following examples show the typical Weak Crossover (WCO) Effects,
where the pronoun ''his'' cannot be interpreted as a variable bound by
''who(m)''

(1)  a.*?Who(m) do you think that his teacher scolded [t] in
         yesterday's geology class?  (who(m)=his)
     b.*?Who(m) does his teacher think that Mary scolded [t]
         in yesterday's geology class?  (who(m)=his)

But, Mahajan (1992) observes the following contrast in acceptability
regarding the WCO effects with Topicalization.  In (2b), where the
pronoun ''his'' is in the matrix clause, the WCO effects emerge.  In
(2a), where ''his'' is in the embedded clause, the WCO effects are
canceled:

(2)  a.   John, I think that his mother likes [t].  (John=his)
     b.???John, his mother thinks that Mary likes [t].
         (John=his)

Then, I'd like to know whether the same contrast can be observed with
movement of a wh-phrase of ''which-N'' type (so called ''D-linked''
wh-phrases).  Like in (2), is there any contrast whatsoever in
acceptability between (3a) and (3b) under the reading ''which
student'' = ''his''?:

(3)  (Among the students in this classroom:)
     a.  Which student do you think that his teacher scolded
         [t] in yesterday's geology class?
         (which student=his)
     b.  Which student does his teacher think that Mary
         scolded [t] in yesterday's geology class?
         (which student=his)

If you find a contrast in (3), can you see the same contrast in (4),
where the moved wh-phrase ''which student'' is not the object of a
verb, but the object of a preposition.  Is there any contrast in
acceptability between (4a) and (4b) under the reading ''which
student''=''his''?:

(4)  (Among the students in this classroom:)
     a.  Which student do you think that his teacher will
         present a special prize to [t] this semester?
         (which student=his)
     b.  Which student does his classmate think that the
         teacher will give a special prize to [t] this
         semester?  (which student=his)

I'll post a summary if I have enough response.  Thanks.

Toru Ishii
Meiji University, Tokyo, JAPAN

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG