14.524, Qs: Drum Vocables, Trace Effects

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 21 14:38:06 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-524. Fri Feb 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.524, Qs: Drum Vocables, Trace Effects

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:46:23 +0000
From:  Aniruddh Patel <apatel at nsi.edu>
Subject:  drum vocables

2)
Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:16:36 +0000
From:  Hiroyuki Tanaka <htanaka at kwansei.ac.jp>
Subject:  Pseudo-that-trace effect?

Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:46:23 +0000
From:  Aniruddh Patel <apatel at nsi.edu>

Dear Linguist List,

We are doing research on the acoustic and perceptual resemblance
between drum sounds and the spoken syllables used to name them in
North Indian tabla music.

We would be most grateful for input on the following questions:

Is anyone aware of previous published research on this topic?

What other cultures have organized systems of vocables for naming
drum/percussion sounds? References to published papers or books are
especially appreciated.

Thank you,

Aniruddh Patel & John Iversen
The Neurosciences Institute