14.543, Qs: Quantitative Constraint, Discourse Markers

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 23 21:52:29 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-543. Sun Feb 23 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.543, Qs: Quantitative Constraint, Discourse Markers

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:23:46 +0000
From:  Leonard Okhotchinski <ok_lennie at hotmail.com>
Subject:  quantitative constraint?

2)
Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:11:12 +0000
From:  Jill Bergman <jillb18 at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Discourse markers

Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:23:46 +0000
From:  Leonard Okhotchinski <ok_lennie at hotmail.com>

In generative grammar it is usually taken for granted that, in theory,
any structure can be iterated endlessly, at least, potentially
endlessly, e.g. the top of the roof of the house of ...

I intuitively feel that very long chains of this type would be
*ungrammatical* in any language I know:

? ''my mother's father's doctor's son's fiancee's dog's...'' doesn't
seem an acceptable utterance, neither would its translations into
Russian, Hebrew or Polish, for instance.

''The House That Jack Built'' is often quoted as an example of the
structure in question. In my opinion, this poem *is* so amusing
because it contradicts the normal, grammatical state of affairs.

I have been told that this belongs to the performance domain, not to
competence. The only explanation I've heard so far was that such long
sequences are not usual, because our brains can operate only a limited
number of objects.

On the other hand, there seems to be no such constraint on the length
of lists, for instance:
	''I've bought 2lb of beef, a lemon, three onions...''

Therefore, there seems to be a difference between subordination and
coordination in this respect.

I will be very grateful for any insight on this issue.

Leonard Okhotchinski,
Moscow State Institute of Foreign Relations