14.570, Media: SFC: Prescriptivist spoof

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 27 00:10:30 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-570. Wed Feb 26 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.570, Media: SFC: Prescriptivist spoof

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:01:51 +0800
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Media: SFC: Prescriptivist spoof

Date:  Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:01:51 +0800
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ntu.edu.tw>

    There's a spoof on prescriptivism in the Dec. 1, 2002 online issue
of the _San Francisco Chronicle_, 'Cuisine' section, entitled: "Just a
Soupcon of Clarity, Please: From soup to nuts to the home office", by
Herbert Gold.  Those interested in unergatives in English will find
this of special interest!

    Here are the first two paragraphs:

    Recently I purchased several cans of Campbell's Chunky "Soup That
Eats Like a Meal," attracted by the bold yellow headline on the
cans. I knew this stunt would really thrill my children.
    Unfortunately, when I opened the first can, it ate nothing! It
refused to eat! I then heated it; still no eating. We gathered around
the pot to watch, but it did not respond. A little steam and bubbling,
but no nibbling, not a lick.

    The URL:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/01/IN6
6701.DTL

    Thanks to Prof. Chris Wen-chao Li of San Francisco State
University (wetchameleon at yahoo.com http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~wenchao/)
for forwarding this link to me.

    Karen Steffen Chung
    http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/