14.36, Qs: EFL Errors, Child Acquisition of 'bad words'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 8 00:06:18 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-36. Tue Jan 7 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.36, Qs: EFL Errors, Child Acquisition of 'bad words'

Date:  Fri, 03 Jan 2003 07:14:38 +0000
From:  John Hammink <John.Hammink at F-Secure.com>
Subject:  Typical mistakes made by Estonians

2)
Date:  Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:38:45 +0100
From:  "Carsten Otto" <Carsten.Otto at ltu-touristik.com>
Subject:  The acquisition of insults/swearwords/bad words

Date:  Fri, 03 Jan 2003 07:14:38 +0000
From:  John Hammink <John.Hammink at F-Secure.com>

Some of you may recall my query from a few months back:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-1775.html#1

This time, I've been asked to design and deliver a short course in
''Writing with Precision'' in English for an audience of Estonian
native speakers.

Many of them have asked me about what are some of the typical
''mistakes'' made by Estonian speakers when writing in English.
Specifically, I'm interested in those things which affect the clarity
of the writing or speaking style itself.

Better yet, as many non-native English writers often ''borrow''
syntactic devices from their own languages (to the adopted language),
what might some of these be?

As before, I'll post a summary when I hear your responses.

Thanks,

John Hammink

P.S.  You can read the two-part summary for a similar study I did
about Finnish speakers of English.  The links are:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-2133.html#1
http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-2172.html#1

Subject-Language: Estonian;Northern Estonian;English; Code: EST