14.160, Qs: Reference Grammar, English Letter-Phoneme Rules

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 17 04:10:07 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-160. Thu Jan 16 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.160, Qs: Reference Grammar, English Letter-Phoneme Rules

Editor for this issue: Renee Galvis <renee at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:19:16 +0000
From:  Baraby Anne-Marie <baraby.anne-marie at uqam.ca>
Subject:  Reference Grammars for speakers

2)
Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:55:17 -0500
From:  "Kurt S. Godden" <kgodden at atl.lmco.com>
Subject:  English Letter-to-Phoneme Rules

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:19:16 +0000
From:  Baraby Anne-Marie <baraby.anne-marie at uqam.ca>

Dear linguists

I am looking for theoretical references (articles or other
publications) dealing with the problem of conceiving and producing
reference grammars for speakers of non-written minority languages. I
am particularly interested in Native languages since I have been
working exclusively in Amerindian linguistics, but work on other
minority languages would be equally relevant.  Numerous reference
grammars describing non-written minority languages already exist but
these linguistic descriptions are generally destined for the academic
community and are not necessarily accessible to the general
public. Conceiving a well-documented reference grammar with the
specific goal of answering the needs of speakers of a non-written
language raises a number of questions and problems which simply do not
occur in the case of well-established languages having a long written
tradition.

The type of work which interests me specifically is relatively recent
and seems to be poorly documented, from a theoretical point of view,
while the literature dealing with the creation of reference material
for European languages, for example, is quite extensive.

My question is the following: Does anyone know of any theoretical
model or guidelines for conceiving reference grammars for non-written
minority languages destined for a wide (i.e. non-academic) readership?
If so, I would deeply appreciate receiving the relevant references.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Anne-Marie Baraby