14.193, Sum: Minidisc Use in the Field and Lab

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 20 20:27:24 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-193. Mon Jan 20 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.193, Sum: Minidisc Use in the Field and Lab

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:10:36 -0000
From:  Lynne Murphy <lynnem at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  Sum: Transcribing from MiniDisc

Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:10:36 -0000
From:  Lynne Murphy <lynnem at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

Thanks to the following for their responses to my query on
transcription machines/programs for use with minidiscs (Linguist
14.92):

Mark Jones, Eric Breck, Jeanette Ireland, Daniel Loehr,
Alexandre Enkerli

I reproduce the most specific suggestions below:

- Alexandre Enkerli <alexandre.enkerli at umontreal.ca> wrote:

>  Sending the file to the computer can
> either be done via an optical out or through re-digitizing the signal.
> The analog route might sound like distorting the signal too much, but it
> seems to work for most methods of acoustic analysis, including those that
> need a lot of data such as pitch-tracking.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I'll be following up on their
suggestions.

Lynne Murphy

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics

University of Sussex
Falmer
Brighton BN1 9QH
>>From UK:  (01273) 678844  fax: (01273) 671320
Outside UK: +44-1273-678844  fax: +44-1273-671320