14.1900, Qs: Eng Lexical Borrowing Quote; Digital Recording

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 9 14:06:53 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1900. Wed Jul 9 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1900, Qs: Eng Lexical Borrowing Quote; Digital Recording

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:21:31 +0000
From:  Steve Hartman Keiser <s.hartman.keiser at marquette.edu>
Subject:  English lexical borrowing: the Eddy Peters quote

2)
Date:  Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:46:28 +0530
From:  <asraviv at bgumail.bgu.ac.il>
Subject:  E-prime and EEG???

Date:  Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:21:31 +0000
From:  Steve Hartman Keiser <s.hartman.keiser at marquette.edu>

I'm curious if anyone knows the origin of the following quote on the
purported English proclivity to lexical borrowing:

''Not only does the English Language borrow words from other
languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over
the head, and goes through their pockets.''

A google search finds it all over the web (e.g., by Anu Garg in
Wordsmith.org's Word-a-day Nov. 4, 2002) and it is always
attributed to Eddy Peters.  But since I can find no information on
Eddy Peters, I wonder if this attribution isn't apocryphal.

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG