14.1913, Qs: Quote Reference; Vietnamese and English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 12 04:04:10 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1913. Sat Jul 12 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1913, Qs: Quote Reference; Vietnamese and English

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:28:09 +1200
From:  "Laurie Bauer" <Laurie.Bauer at vuw.ac.nz>
Subject:  Un systeme ou tout se tient

2)
Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:17:47 +0200
From:  "Francisco Dubert" <fgdubert at usc.es>
Subject:  Vietnamese English translation

Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:28:09 +1200
From:  "Laurie Bauer" <Laurie.Bauer at vuw.ac.nz>

I've been looking for the origin of the famous structuralist dictum
that a language is 'un système où tout se tient'. A search of the
net finds it variously attributed to de Saussure or to Meillet (I
believe the latter is correct), but NO reference! Can anyone supply
the reference?  Thank you!

Laurie Bauer
Professor of Linguistics
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington
New Zealand