14.1951, Qs: Hanyu Pinyin; Shoebox

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 17 14:15:21 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1951. Thu Jul 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1951, Qs: Hanyu Pinyin; Shoebox

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:27:43 +0000
From:  christina mendez <christina at orangesoap.com>
Subject:  hanyu pinyin: mandarin in romanized transcription

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:37:40 +0000
From:  James Long <jimlong at worldpassage.net>
Subject:  SIL Shoebox use

Date:  Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:27:43 +0000
From:  christina mendez <christina at orangesoap.com>

i'm looking for some information on hanyu pinyin and its usage.  is
this the standard romanized transcription form?  how familiar are
native mandarin speakers with hanyu pinyin?  is it generally only used
for learning mandarin?

Subject-Language: Chinese, Mandarin; Code: CHN