14.1965, Support: Intelligent Systems: Stipend, U/of Sunderland

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 21 04:44:11 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1965. Mon Jul 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1965, Support: Intelligent Systems: Stipend, U/of Sunderland

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:23:49 +0100
From:  Stefan Wermter <stefan.wermter at sunderland.ac.uk>
Subject:  MSc Intelligent Systems: Stipend, University of Sunderland

Date:  Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:23:49 +0100
From:  Stefan Wermter <stefan.wermter at sunderland.ac.uk>

Stipends available for MSc Intelligent Systems

We are pleased to announce that for eligible EU students we have
obtained funding to offer a bursary for our new MSc Intelligent
Systems worth up to 9.000 EURO as fee waiver and stipend.

The School of Computing and Technology, University of Sunderland is
delighted to announce the launch of its new MSc Intelligent Systems
programme for October 2003. Building on the School's leading edge
research in intelligent systems this masters programme will be funded
via the ESF scheme (see below).

Intelligent Systems is an exciting field of study for science and
industry since the currently existing computing systems have often not
yet reached the various aspects of human performance.  "Intelligent
Systems" is a term to describe software systems and methods, which
simulate aspects of intelligent behaviour. The intention is to learn
from nature and human performance in order to build more powerful
computing systems. The aim is to learn from cognitive science,
neuroscience, biology, engineering, and linguistics for building more
powerful computational system architectures. In this programme a wide
variety of novel and exciting techniques will be taught including
neural networks, intelligent robotics, machine learning, natural
language processing, vision, evolutionary genetic computing, data
mining, information retrieval, Bayesian computing, knowledge-based
systems, fuzzy methods, and hybrid intelligent architectures.

Programme Structure:

The following lectures/modules are available (at least modules with *
are intended to be available for the Oct. 2003 cohort entry)

Neural Networks *
Intelligent Systems Architectures *
Learning Agents *
Evolutionary Computation
Cognitive Neural Science *
Knowledge Based Systems and Data Mining *
Bayesian Computation
Vision and Intelligent Robots *
Natural Language Processing *
Dynamics of Adaptive Systems
Intelligent Systems Programming *

Funding up to 6000 pounds (about 9.000Euro) for eligible students

The Bursary Scheme applies to this Masters programme commencing
October 2003 and we have obtained funding through the European Social
Fund (ESF). ESF support enables the University to waive the normal
tuition fee and provide a bursary of £ 75 per week for 45 weeks for
eligible EU students, together up to 6000 pounds or 9000 Euro.

For further information in the first instance please see:
http://www.his.sunderland.ac.uk/Teaching_frame.html
http://osiris.sund.ac.uk/webedit/allweb/courses/progmode.php?prog=G550A&mode=FT&mode2=&dmode=C

For information on applications and start dates contact:
        gillian.potts at sunderland.ac.uk  Tel: 0191 515 2758
For academic information about the programme contact:
        alfredo.moscardini at sunderland.ac.uk