14.1972, Books: Cognitive Science: Gattis (ed)

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 21 15:50:43 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1972. Mon Jul 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1972, Books: Cognitive Science: Gattis (ed)

Editor for this issue: Marisa Ferrara <marisa at linguistlist.org>
Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:16:56 +0000
From:  dgw at mit.edu
Subject:  Spatial Schemas and Abstract Thought: Gattis (ed)

Date:  Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:16:56 +0000
From:  dgw at mit.edu

Title: Spatial Schemas and Abstract Thought
Series Title: Bradford Books

Publication Year: 2003
Publisher: MIT Press
           http://mitpress.mit.edu/

Editor: Merideth  Gattis, University of Sheffield

Paperback: ISBN: 0262571692, Pages: 362, Price: $25
Comment: Hardcover published 2001

Abstract:

Humans and other animals depend on their ability to perceive and
represent spatial aspects of the world. We learn spatial schemas by
observing the locations and movements of objects (including people)
and the configuration of our environment. This book explores the role
these spatial schemas play in abstract, nonspatial tasks. Evidence
suggests that we adapt spatial schemas for three basic purposes in
abstract cognition: to structure memory, to structure communication,
and to structure reasoning.

Are spatial schemas mere metaphors that help us to understand
cognitive processes, or are they actual internal mechanisms? Evidence
for the latter suggests that the cognitive structures we develop to
perceive, navigate, and remember space are the indispensable
foundation of more abstract cognitive tasks. The book proposes the
means by which spatial structures might be adapted for nonspatial
purposes, and it considers alternatives to spatial coding as a basis
for abstract thought.

The book is organized into three parts: the representation and use of
space, spatial schemas in cultural contexts, and the kinds of
computational and neurological structures that might be involved in
abstract thought. The contributors include cognitive psychologists,
developmental psychologists, linguists, anthropologists, and computer
scientists.

Merideth Gattis is Lecturer in Psychology at the University of
Sheffield, UK.

Lingfield(s):   Cognitive Science

Written In:  English (Language Code: ENG)

     See this book announcement on our website:
     http://linguistlist.org/get-book.html?BookID=6672.

MAJOR SUPPORTERS

	Blackwell Publishing
		http://www.blackwellpublishing.com

	Cambridge University Press
		http://www.cup.org

	Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
		http://www.continuumbooks.com

	Elsevier Ltd.
		http://www.elsevier.com/locate/linguistics

	John Benjamins
		http://www.benjamins.com/

	Kluwer Academic Publishers
		http://www.wkap.nl/

	Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
		http://www.erlbaum.com/

	Lincom GmbH
		www.lincom-europa.com

	MIT Press
		http://mitpress.mit.edu/

	Mouton de Gruyter
		http://www.mouton-publishers.com

	Oxford University Press
		http://www.oup-usa.org/

	Pacini Editore Spa
		http://www.pacinieditore.it/index_dinamico.htm

	Rodopi
		http://www.rodopi.nl/

	Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
		http://www.routledge.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

	CSLI Publications
		http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/

	Cascadilla Press
		http://www.cascadilla.com/

	Evolution Publishing
		http://www.evolpub.com

	Graduate Linguistic Students' Assoc., Umass
		http://server102.hypermart.net/glsa/index.htm

	International Pragmatics Assoc.
		http://ipra-www.uia.ac.be/ipra/

	Linguistic Assoc. of Finland