14.1979, Qs: Dutch voiceless stops/Researching Languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 21 17:48:17 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1979. Mon Jul 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1979, Qs: Dutch voiceless stops/Researching Languages

Editor for this issue: Tomoko Okuno <tomoko at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:07:12 +0000
From:  Gilbert Lang <lgz at sfu.ca>
Subject:  Dutch voiceless stops

2)
Date:  Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:18:11 +0800
From:  "Loren A. Billings" <billings at ncnu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Alternatives to "Projects in Linguistics (Wray et al., eds.)"

Date:  Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:07:12 +0000
From:  Gilbert Lang <lgz at sfu.ca>

I know that Dutch voiceless stops are said to be unaspirated.
However, the pronunciation of the voiceless stops in Dutch strikes me
as different from that of Spanish, French, Italian, etc.  Could it be
that it's due to a difference in the Voice Onset Time?  Is it possible
that Dutch voiceless stops are released a little bit after voicing of
the following vowel?  Is it possible that there is a slight lag?  I've
noticed from spectrographic analysis that the Dutch voiceless stops
definitely seem to have more energy than those of Spanish, so maybe
it's just a difference of airflow.  Can anyone give me more
information?