14.2041, All: Obituary: James Sledd

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 30 15:22:46 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2041. Wed Jul 30 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2041, All: Obituary: James Sledd

Date:  Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:44:48 -0500
From:  erard at lucidwork.com
Subject:  Obituary: James Sledd

Date:  Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:44:48 -0500
From:  erard at lucidwork.com

All:

With sadness I report the death of James Sledd, professor emeritus of
English at the University of Texas at Austin, on July 21, 2003. Sledd
was 88 years old. Professor Sledd, who was instrumental in founding
the linguistics department at UT-Austin, is well-remembered for his
work on Chaucer and English phonology. An early champion of students'
rights to learn to write in their own dialects, he also defended the
rights of graduate student writing instructors.

Michael Erard