14.1553, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 2 00:54:42 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1553. Sun Jun 1 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1553, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Sat, 31 May 2003 12:59:45 -0400
From:  "Mike Maxwell" <Mike_Maxwell at sil.org>
Subject:  Re:      14.1550, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

2)
Date:  Sat, 31 May 2003 13:02:50 -0400
From:  John Limber <limber at attbi.com>
Subject:  Re: 14.1538, Disc: New: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

3)
Date:  Sun, 1 Jun 2003 10:40:13 +0100 (BST)
From:  "M.L. Souag" <mls33 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:  Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages / New Languages?

Date:  Sat, 31 May 2003 12:59:45 -0400
From:  "Mike Maxwell" <Mike_Maxwell at sil.org>

There are so many errors of fact in this NYT article that a
point-by-point rebuttal would probably be longer than the original
essay.  I won't attempt that here, but I will comment on one point.

In the context of the notion that language extinction is not permanent
because languages can be revived, no language can be brought back unless
it has been documented, where documentation includes large amounts of
text, grammatical and lexical analysis, audio recordings (or at the very
least detailed phonological analysis).  Very few languages are
documented to that extent today, and few if any of them are endangered
languages.  Most endangered languages are not documented _at all_.

     Mike Maxwell
     Linguistic Data Consortium
     maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu