14.1565, Qs: Jean-Yves Pollock; 'Orthotactics' definition

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 3 15:54:58 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1565. Tue Jun 3 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1565, Qs: Jean-Yves Pollock; 'Orthotactics' definition

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:          Mon, 02 Jun 03 17:15:39 EDT
From:          Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject:       email address for Jean-Yves Pollock

2)
Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:07:21 +0100 (BST)
From:  J R Elliott <jre at comp.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject:  Orthotactics; a definiative definition

Date:          Mon, 02 Jun 03 17:15:39 EDT
From:          Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>

I am trying to find a working email address for Jean-Yves Pollock.

Thank you,
Stan Dubinsky

Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:07:21 +0100 (BST)
From:  J R Elliott <jre at comp.leeds.ac.uk>

Calling all across the ether,

Although the term orthotactic is used extensively in linguistics,
neuroscience and psychology, I have yet to find a dictionary entry,
which provides a definition one can reference.  A working definition
being: sequences of letters that are 'legal' in a given language.

Can anyone put me out of my misery, or tell me why this is: no entry
in the OED?

Cheers,

John
John Elliott
Centre for Computer Analysis of Language and Speech
University of Leeds.  http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jre/
and Computational Intelligence Group, School of Computing
Leeds Metropolitan University
email:  jre at comp.leeds.ac.uk  or J.Elliott at lmu.ac.uk
Home: john.elliott at leedsalumni.org.uk