14.1616, Qs: Arabic Attached Pronouns

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 8 12:08:29 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1616. Sun Jun 8 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1616, Qs: dk

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:02:44 -0700
From:  "Michael T. Wescoat" <wescoat at cruzio.com>
Subject:  Re:  Arabic attached pronouns

Date:  Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:02:44 -0700
From:  "Michael T. Wescoat" <wescoat at cruzio.com>

I would appreciate hearing about any and all studies, written
in any language, touching on the phonology, morphology, and
syntax of attached (or affixed or clitic) pronouns in Arabic,
be it Classical, Modern Standard, or any colloquial variety.
I am especially interested in any arguments as to whether these
forms should be handled in the syntax or the lexicon.  I am
also looking for any works that provide detailed empirical
descriptions that might furnish insights into this issue.
So far I am aware only of Broselow's 1983 "A lexical treatment
of Cairene Arabic object clitics." (By the way, I am interested
in ALL attached pronouns, not just objects.)

Many thanks in advance, Michael T. Wescoat