14.1665, Qs: German Initial Consonants; Portuguese Leveling

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 12 18:54:34 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1665. Thu Jun 12 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1665, Qs: German Initial Consonants; Portuguese Leveling

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:16:16 -0500
From:  "Leo A. Connolly" <connolly at memphis.edu>
Subject:  Initial [x] and [ç] in German

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:25:06 -0500
From:  Ric Morris <rmorris at mtsu.edu>
Subject:  Portuguese leveling?

Date:  Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:16:16 -0500
From:  "Leo A. Connolly" <connolly at memphis.edu>

Many standard German speakers have neither [x] nor [ç] in initial
position.  Many others have [ç] in words such as _Chemie_ and _China_,
but not [x].  (Swiss dialects, of course, have initial [x] in lieu of
standard /k/, but that's not at issue here.)  Unless my ears have
deceived me, however, there are some standard German speakers who have
initial [x] in foreign words such as _Channukah_ and names such as
_Chruschtschow_ 'Khrushchev'.  Have others heard these pronunciations?

A related question: Siebs & Co. prescribe some awkward pronunciations
with initial [ç] before a back vowel, e.g. _Charybdis_ [ça'rypdis].  Has
anyone ever heard these?  I can't even say this word that way, because
of the unnatural [ça] and unassimilated [pd].

Please write to me, and I will post a summary of interesting results.

Thank you in advance.
Leo Connolly
U. of Memphis